[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Paris Occupé - Field Day Forums
Paris Occupé
  • tnelson

Paris Occupé

by tnelson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:55 am

I've finally opened up one of the chapters of Paris Occupé to the public for use. Search for "Paris" in ARIS and click on Paris Occupé: décembre 1940. This is the chapter on rationing.

I've also created a Google site with documentation, such as an Instructor's Manual (IM) and a link to a Google group for discussions/notifications/bugs here:

The IM has some ideas for using the game in French language classes, URLs for all of the websites accessed in the game, and numerous appendices with support information.

If you'd like access to the code-- beware! there are a zillion locks (close enough!) and lots of quests!-- just let me know. I made a duplicate, unpublished copy called "Developers version" that I'm happy to share. Just email me at tnelson at csusb dot edu

Many thanks to the ARIS community for your support with this project!
    chrish

Re: Paris Occupé

by chrish » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks Terri for sharing this awesome resource with us. Your game is really inspiring, and it will be great to be able to show others a little more closely what's in there.

For those who don't know about Prof. Nelson's Paris Occupé, one of her talks about the game and its purpose was recorded as a webinar:

Even if you don't teach French or a language, I think you'll get some good ideas from hearing her talk. Terri also nicely has this and some others linked at her game's site.

• WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:59 am

This is really exciting, Terri. Thanks for sharing. I won't likely have time to review until after Thanksgiving but I will leave myself a bookmark. Your presentation about student emotional impacts back at that ARIS conference was inspiring and I've been mentioning the rationing anecdote to everyone I have conversations with about the power of ARIS games. Keep the faith!
  • tnelson

by tnelson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the positive words. It's been a labor of love... and I have a lot more labor ahead of me :-) but being able to release a chapter for everyone to play and re-mix represents a major milestone for me. Please let me know if you want a copy of the developer's version. You'll want to make your own copy after to play with (but it takes a good 6-8 hours to duplicate! You've been forewarned!).