[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
crowdfunding of ARIS features - Field Day Forums
crowdfunding of ARIS features
  • chasleff

crowdfunding of ARIS features

by chasleff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:02 am

I was wondering if it would be possible to set up crowdfunding efforts to help boost development of ARIS features.
    Charles Leffingwell
    ARISE Serious Game Programmer & Designer

• WaterGuerrilla

Re: crowdfunding of ARIS features

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Should we create a Google Sheet of items to be supported and seek rate quotes from the ARIS LLC, or did you have particular feature/s in mind?

Please note: I'm still not getting notifications when there are updates to this forum so have not checked in regularly.

I would be interested in following the discussion/action regarding crowdfunding or co-funding efforts. There was a Google Sheet from the ARIS conference where David, et al. collected the room's mood of funding levels and opportunities. He seemed most intent on spending time/money/energy on VR with the support of a large grant. But there were a number of different projects and areas of development identified. I'll see if I can dredge out a link to the sheet.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 pm

You may already have this, but perhaps it is of interest. I found the link to the Google Doc generated at the August ARIS meeting.

Some of these features were identified as of interest by more than one application and therefore ripe for co-funding/support (and perhaps crowdfunding).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kql ... JYPMY/edit
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm glad to see this topic coming back up. Often, when we break down the steps, $5k -$25k allows us to add SIGNIFICANT new capacities to ARIS.

Feel free to ask for an estimate of what a a feature may cost and we can use these forums to try and coordinate proud sourced contributions.

So far, I know there are some folks writing grants to see a robust implementation of custom maps and MNHS has recently contributed support for iBeacons.

David
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Also, I can say that we did NOT get the NSF cyberlearning grant to build more 3d AR into ARIS. That said, we are resubmitting this February based on the constructive feedback we received.

I can also say that MNHS is working with us to prototype some AR features that may end up scaling past their specific project.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear about the NSF grant in this round. Good luck in the next round. Sounded cool.
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Wow. I just found a bunch of sites for facilitating exactly what we've been discussing. I'm going to keep investigating, but right now, https://freedomsponsors.org is looking quite promising.

David
    chrish

by chrish » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 pm

One of the tricky bits that we should figure out on the front end is who specifically is in the crowd and what rules come with spending their $ besides an inclination to do so. I don't know much about spending rules except that there are often many arcane ones when that money is institutional in origin.

We could of course figure out something that looks like public crowd funding like kickstarter for one bit and something separate for institutional collaborative funding. Even just selling T-shirts maybe.

I like thinking that we could keep the ball rolling, putting together funding here and there to get small features, and do enough of it that say we knew there would be enough to pay a developer part time a couple years out. This seems a bit easier and more flexible, fitting to this project, than figuring out a master plan for monetization.

If you are out there writing grants for this sort of work, I would definitely recommend writing in some for dev work and technical and server support. @djgagnon has rates for his team figured out pretty well, and a line item for monthly ARIS server uptime—budgeting friendly. I've done this previously though not landed those grants yet. You'll feel like you're helping the project and also paying to make sure there's some help there when you hit snags or that ARIS really does have the feature you need when you need it.

But maybe too there are models out there we could go after that we haven't really tried yet. Consulting at scale maybe. I think there's a lot of people out there who would really appreciate this tool in their lives, and when they find it, they are often willing to spend some money to get trained etc. I think active advertising and market research would help more opportunities come up to tell the story of ARIS and what it could to to these potential audiences and offer training. Trainers could be recruited regionally and a deal could be set up where the trainers get paid for their time and some amount goes to ARIS development too. I don't know for sure, but I could see it being a straightforward sell to say that in addition to the fee paying for someone's time and experience, it was directly supporting this free and open source project. If there was some structure to this so that the recruiters and those who pay for training feel that their money isn't just disappearing that would be more attractive.

Even just putting together a quick list of people who are qualified (what does this mean?) and potentially willing to the point where we can say on the ARIS website that you can ask for this and a ballpark for rates. Right now a person has to get to know us pretty well before they even know that they could get help and that we could use some help too.