Aurasma
  • WaterGuerrilla

Aurasma

by WaterGuerrilla » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Some on this forum may find Aurasma of interest.

I recently learned of this HP-backed AR platform because a Milwaukee art gallery is using it to create AR experiences with their art.

Basically, you can do things closer to what people think you mean when you say you're working in Augmented Reality. You can take a photo and use it as a trigger to unlock animated media content that overlays the image of the content when you aim your device at it in real life.

Only scratching the surface of this, but wanted to let the groups know this exists. You can create and use a free Aurasma account. For more intensive or commercial uses, you can also enter into business agreements with HP.

MT
    chrish

Re: Aurasma

by chrish » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 am

On our previous forums, we had a couple threads about other AR platforms, and I would absolutely encourage people to check these and even non-AR platforms out. Tools for creativity are wonderful. It's a bit hard to keep track of everything as platforms come and go, but I would also suggest that this would be a fine place to present, ask questions, and share work in these other spaces. People here might be good audience members for tools like Aurasma in particular.

Another one you should know about right away is MIT's Talebalzer. It is map based like ARIS, unlike the "through the lens" magic of tools like Aurasma, and has a few other differences that might be important to particular needs. First, it is cross platform. I hope that's not always a differentiator, but if you need Android today, there you go. Also if you really want to have offline, single player games, Taleblazer was designed with those in mind. Finally, if you want to have multiple, distinct player roles, Taleblazer affords this out of the gate. It works fine in ARIS too but you have to see how to make it happen (maybe a missing tutorial? Let me know). On the other hand, at least from my point of view, Taleblazer is a bit clunky visually (though Fresh Air—hard to google btw—is far prettier than ARIS to an author) and the block language MIT uses there and in other platforms I've not yet acclimated to. There are also smaller differences of style, like ARIS is more public facing than Taleblazer. To play a game in the latter, you need a cryptic code. In ARIS, just the name of the game—or if I get my way, maybe we can get game urls back and then it gets really easy.

Anyway, I have a fair number of students who really like Taleblazer and make good projects in it. And if you happen get a chance to interface with the team, they are the best. Please do share experiences with other platforms that might be of interest to ARIS users here. And if people get really deep in, we can set up non-aris boards to have longer conversations.

One more little note. I was working with a class last night and the idea to incorporate Aurasma with ARIS came up. I don't know Aurasma well enough to know if this is possible, but I would not guess it is likely. It does remind me though that one of the things @waterguerilla used to workaround difficulties and that everyone should know about is the ability to bring the web into ARIS. Most simply this can be done with a webpage object. Instead of specifying media, it is a blank sheet to which you match a URL. Depending on the vagaries of rendering and logins, this allows you to use web forms, youtube videos, etc. quite simply inside ARIS.