Beta Testers! AR features are finally in ARIS
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

Beta Testers! AR features are finally in ARIS

by djgagnon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:44 pm

If you are part of the test flight program, you should have notices that a new ARIS client has been released to test the new Augmented Reality tab in ARIS.

We could use some help playing with this new feature so it's ready for a public audience in a few weeks.

You will need to download the newest client in TestFlight. PM me if you want to be added as a beta tester.

You will also need to use the beta editor at https://arisgames.org/beta-editor

Finally, here is a video tutorial I whipped up to show how it all works: https://fielddaylab.org/courses/aris-ar
    chrish

Re: Beta Testers! AR features are finally in ARIS

by chrish » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:34 am

This is great! I can't wait to give it a go. Nice videos too. Likely this week.
  • rleduc

by rleduc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 pm

This is exciting!

I've been playing around with this feature today with a couple of videos we use on the ARISE Project. I followed along with the tutorial you posted, and the AR is recognizing my image targets and is playing audio but not video.

The videos I am using are both MP4 (which I believe is the same format you use in the guide).One of the images I am using is rated at 4 stars, another at 2, however both still trigger the audio track, but no video. I tried to google troubleshoot vuforia and dig through some of the documentation, but I didn't find anything helpful in terms of why I might not be getting video playback.

I'm not sure what I might be missing. Thanks!
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Video formats can be pretty tricky so that might be it. One thing to check is that the file will play on the device in question. I usually test this by putting a copy in dropbox and getting it on the device that way. I'm hoping to give this a try soon too, so I'll let you know what I find.
    chrish

by chrish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Okay, so here's what I've got so far.

Recognition of a 4 star image is quite good, and a 0 star (in this case a photo I took of art behind glass where the image contained the art and idiosyncratic reflections of the room from a particular angle and me taking the photo) can very rarely hit.

When the image is recognized I am able to tap that part of the screen and am taken to the plaque (etc.) that the AR trigger points to. But within the AR view, the media that has been added to the AR trigger (in the right sidebar) does not replace the recognized image in the video feed. I have tried a jpg and a movie as the attached media.

Being able to, as a person, see something important on the screen and tap it to have the computer know what I'm doing (evidenced by taking me to a new place in ARIS) is really cool. In the long run I think I will enjoy that more than the immediate Harry Potter style overlay. But using the trigger media will still be useful for presenting the player with some confirmation that the image has been identified.

One other note, at first I did not add media to the trigger. When the image is recognized in the app, the app crashes.
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:31 pm

This is so helpful! It sounds like something in the overlay media isn't working for most folks. We will look into it. Also good to know about the crash.
  • rleduc

by rleduc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Would it be possible to get sample files that are known to "work", such as the images and videos you used in the tutorial? Or should this technically work with any image and video?
    chrish

by chrish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm

@rleduc I literally took pictures of random things in my house. One thing I thought would be difficult and one thing that seemed a bit more straightforward. Then I linked the triggers to other media I had lying around, not to necessarily something that would be a good fit for the idea of AR view. I like your suggestion of having some demo content for people to upload to their own games though. Certainly the hard part here is the creating through vuforia.

@djgagnon, what about putting the zip folder from the demo content online to download somewhere? I bet that would work. People could maybe open the zip and print the jpegs themselves or if there are not suitable jpegs there, include some in a larger package? It might take a while for me but I could get some demo stuff together too.
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback here. Something is certainly out of whack with the beta for most media.

We will distribute a new one in about a week and I'll send out some sample media to go with. Great idea.

David
    chrish

by chrish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 am

I don't know the space of "AR" libraries, but I'm curious why Vuforia ended up being a good match? For instance, how does it compare to the open source AR Toolkit https://artoolkit.org?