Beta Testers! AR features are finally in ARIS
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

Re: Beta Testers! AR features are finally in ARIS

by djgagnon » Thu May 11, 2017 2:39 am

Thanks Chris. I hadn't tried that. So far we've only been using video.
    chrish

by chrish » Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Another quick note, this time a good one. For the last couple months I've been working on a game here at UNM in our main Library. In it we used both bluetooth beacons and AR targets. We had the launch for the game last week, and everything went well. In particular we had AR targets that were photos of real perspectives in the 3D world our players would need to scan (as well as 2D images that were reproduced). The AR worked quite well even with differences in lighting and focal length across devices and play.

The only thing that is not entirely intuitive is that ARIS does not record one as having "viewed" the trigger unless the user taps the AR image on screen as it is being viewed (and then sending player to the linked ARIS object. I understand that the locks correspond to these underlying objects, so maybe that's how they fit in, and I'm n to saying it should work differently necessarily, just that we had to train players to tap on the image so they could get further in the game. So other authors might want to know about that too.

We had some inconsistency with the BT beacons across devices and playtests (variable delays before a beacon would trigger), but I don't know how much of this is ARIS. Toggling BT on and off on the device would jog itinerant devices pretty well.

Overall though, these new location detection schemes are pretty great. I have high hopes not just for their technical reliability, but also that they can be the basis for fun and useful dynamics in location based play that we have not yet before tried out.
  • chickenny

by chickenny » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am

Hi David, I can't drop you a PM as I just joined the forum, so I'm sorry I have to reach out this way. I'm keen to try out the Beta version for AR. Could you add me in please? Thanks!
  • hweissmann

by hweissmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:44 am

Working on a project to be shared with a class this fall. If I incorporate AR using the beta version and then publish the game, will players be able to use the AR components if they are not also beta testers? Or, alternatively, @djgagnon do you have a sense of when the AR features will be added to the regular version of ARIS?
  • Yovannita

by Yovannita » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi everyone! I'm super excited to see the AR features enabled for ARIS!! Thanks for all the work!

I'm having a couple of issues, though. The app is good at recognizing the trigger, but it wouldn't show the media unless it's a picture. I know that the app recognizes the trigger because the option to click 'continue' shows up and successfully directs me to the plaque or conversation I created for that trigger. However, the video or audio doesn't display.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Make sure you set the scaling size to 500 in the vuforia portal when building your marker database.

We are actively using video with sound in our work, so I know it works great.

If that doesn't fix it, could it be you are using an odd video codec? We use h.264 .m4v or even Apple ProRes if you need to do alpha video.

David
  • Yovannita

by Yovannita » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did set the size to 500 in vuforia.

I'm using .m4v for video and .m4a for audio. It still doesn't work. The app does play the video or audio if they are part of a plaque or something else. But it wouldn't play as overlay of the ARTarget.

I suppose I'm following all steps right given that it works fine when the media is a picture. :(

Thanks!
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Unfortunately, video codecs are more complicated than just the file ending. To make sure the file type is not the problem, you may wish to find another way to play the video file on your device. I used to test mine by putting them in dropbox and then loading it on the mobile device. If the file will play on the device as is, then we should start looking into the Viewforia workflow a little more closely. I'll also see if I can find a minute to try video out myself and see what I run into.