PLAY MAKE LEARN
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

PLAY MAKE LEARN

by djgagnon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Through a whole series of events, I'm happy to announce that a bunch of cool kids in Madison are collaborating to put together a new summer event.

MAKE.
    PLAY.
    LEARN.

The event is August 14th.

We are looking to create a dialog between rockstar educators and non-traditional learning researchers.

See [url]makeplaylearn.org[/url] for the "save the date" site. Full details will up soon.

This year will be kept small, no more than 250 participants.

Nikole Pinkard (Digital Youth Network) and Dan White (Filament Games) will beginning the keynotes.

I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

David
  • rleduc

Re: PLAY MAKE LEARN

by rleduc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi David,

The programmers here at the ARISE Project were wondering if there was going to be another ARIS Summit, and now if this PLAY MAKE LEARN is replacing the summit?
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:31 pm

I've been talking with people about our next ARIS Summit, and the good news is that there's tons of interest. I don't know how much ARIS stuff will be at Play Make Learn, and unfortunately, I can't come to that as my semester starts next week and I have a lot of duties the week before. But I bet there will still be some focus there, what with @djgagnon organizing and all. With GLS evaporating, we need to come up with something of our own, or another place(s) to colonize. I was hoping we could figure it out by the summer, but at this point I think it will just take us a bit longer to get something real together.

Want to brainstorm a bit?

When?
    Summer seems good for most people, but also for that reason tricky. Depending on place, this might change too. For instance, Albuquerque isn't too cold in the winter when many places are miserable.

Where?
    I'm of course very happy to do a great deal of the planning and organization on the way to a summit. If Albuquerque would be a good destination over the summer or winter breaks for people (it's a nice place, not as central as Denver or Minneapolis, but a bit more than Madison(?)), I have mucho available space in my department for such an event. I'd like any destination to be as convenient for as many as possible, and to be able to use free, available space so we can keep things cheap.

With what else?
    One of the good things about GLS is that many of us, even in very different disciplines, could argue that the conference was a professional thing, and so doing a bit extra on top for ARIS was an easy sell, and then not an additional commitment. There are some other likely centers, like CALICO or ISTE, but none I know that are as universal in applicability. We don't have to glom onto anything else, and we also don't have to have a one-size-fits all summit.

What do we do?
    For me, the absolute best part is some F2F with others doing cool things in and related to ARIS. Everyone is so nice, supportive and interesting. It's a real shot in the arm. And so I know any summit will have this, and be worthwhile as long as people show up. But what else would we like to get out of the event (besides t-shirts!)? Training in specific aspects like Javascript? A chance to share our work as we might do at other conferences? A chance to make ideas together as I got to do with Craig Brumwell and our audience in relation to his design? Since ARIS is software, we tend to focus on technical training, but just the same, there are many conceptual topics that might be of interest to relate to why we might bother with this stuff at all or where it really leads when our buggy games are all eventually digital dust. We'd need to be a bit careful since we come from different backgrounds, but would anyone want to share thoughts about this stuff? What about topics in between, like digital ethnography?

I guess my one concern here is that personally, I have a hard time going to from this stage to the point of saying, "Yes, this is what we're going to do!"
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:20 pm

We would have attended or participated in another ARIS Summit if there were to be one in 2017. I am interested in the Play Make Learn event, but will have to see if the content is something that aligns with what we are doing.

The grant that supports our ARISE project work runs out in March 2018.
    chrish

by chrish » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:37 am

We better hurry then
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:45 am

In any event, the programming team we have is planning on adding a section to the ariseproject.com website about our stuff, how we are adapting ARIS for our needs and the code we are using. Meeting at a conference is always cool though.

Some of the Github stuff is here: https://github.com/cleffing/ARISE
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Unfortunately, there is currently no ARIS summit in the works for 2017.

The original plan was to hold a getting at PLAY MAKE LEARN, but the timing just never worked out. At this point I think we are best for aiming for 2018.

David
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Charles, I've been checking out your website, and it's really cool. I've had a number of other nursing educators contact e this last year and having a resource that is so easy to find and see is really helpful. Also for others who are trying to wrap their heads around what these tools might be put to.
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:43 pm

We are going to try to find time to document more about how we program ARIS to do what we need in our scenarios. Those things will most likely be added to either the ariseproject.com website or our GIT hub.

Part of our group just finished presenting at INASCL in Washington DC. (International Nursing Association for
    Clinical Simulation and Learning Conference) It was well received.