How to explain the unintuitive lock for disappearing plaques
  • essbee33

How to explain the unintuitive lock for disappearing plaques

by essbee33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:28 pm

When a designer in ARIS wants the plaque to disappear after the player has viewed it, they enter the lock sequence "player has not yet viewed plaque ____."

This is a complicated lock to think through how it logically works. What is your best wording of why this works? I'd like to be able to share it with students.
    chrish

Re: How to explain the unintuitive lock for disappearing plaques

by chrish » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm

It does end up being a complicated thought process for a simple effect, but I think it is also a good place to start developing solid strategies through thinking through the unavoidably complex nature of logical constructions (not that there aren't design and UI improvements to be made).

In general, I try to use a strong metaphor of locks, keys, and pins. You can see a longer version of this in the manual. When you create a lock on a trigger (or tab, etc.), you specify the key(s). Each blue box is its own key. So it doesn't matter to key 2 whether key 1 works. Any key works fine.

Within each box (or key) I think of each statement as a pin. For a key to work, each pin needs to work. All the statements have to be TRUE. If there is one bad pin, the key breaks and the lock snaps shut.

For the specific instance, or any specific instance, I walk through each pin at the various stages of the game to see if the lock will be open or closed:

At the beginning, when the player has done nothing, is this statement true, is this one, etc.
    After the player sees this plaque, what changes? In this case, the statement about having viewed a plaque goes from TRUE to FALSE. When it is TRUE, the key (or that part of it) works and the lock is open. When the statement becomes false, the key breaks and the lock snaps shut.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to hear others' strategies too.
  • essbee33

by essbee33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks, Chris! Your breakdown of locks and the simplicity of thinking about when statements are true or false really helps me understand how to communicate this concept more clearly.
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I think the confusion lies in the fact that 'locks' seem more like a logical 'not' situation already. Leading to negative logic thinking interfering with the goal of what you want to do. It takes some getting used to. Chris's key analogy works best I think.

A different, more positive logic way of thinking about it could be to think of each 'lock' as more of a 'permission'.

Each true statement gives the player 'permission' to see the plaque. If the statement is false, then the player does not have permission to see the plaque. It is similar to each statement being a key to open a lock.

Chris's analogy for the pins as sub-parts of a key required to open the lock helps make sense of multipart conditional logic that makes sense in the 'AND' logic sense, but 'OR' is a bit harder to explain in the analogy.

That's my 2 cents anyway.