[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Using larger videos in ARIS - Field Day Forums
Using larger videos in ARIS
  • l-gun

Using larger videos in ARIS

by l-gun » Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an interactive history/museum tour of our 100 year old school building. (And up against a deadline...)

Could someone please steer me toward instructions to include/embed/link to videos larger than what ARIS will accept? (I read that that is up to 10 MB.)

I've read these, but am still having trouble:

This one says, "Size: ARIS will accept videos up to 10MB. If you need something larger, consider linking the url (to YouTube for example) in the text content in ARIS, sending the player to see the video in a web view."

(I'm just not sure how to do that.)

I noticed

"ARIS.exitToWebpage(webpageId); //Exits to webpage object with specified id"

But I am thinking that a webpage object is not quite the same as exiting to a web page??

Thanks!

Larry
  • l-gun

Re: Using larger videos in ARIS

by l-gun » Sat May 20, 2017 2:23 pm

I guess the "Web Page" game object might be the way to go.

Somehow I thought I was going to need Javascript.

Sorry for bothering people when the solution is probably so simple.

Please let me know, though, if there are better ways that I should consider to incorporate larger videos into ARIS games rather than taking the user to a YouTube link.

Thanks!

Larry
    chrish

by chrish » Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 am

Putting a youtube link in a webpage object or using the link along with a basic html tag in a plaque would be the way to go. I'm not sure if the limit is still 10MB, but even if ARIS will take it, large videos will take some time to download when players launch the game and so may be problematic anyway. I'd also suggest taking a look at how to reencode video at low bitrates and pixel dimensions. Knocking the sound down to a single channel and low bitrate can help a lot too.
  • l-gun

by l-gun » Mon May 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, Chris!

After my post I created webpage objects linking to YouTube videos I created.

As an additional step, I created links to the Youtube videos on "safeyoutube.net" to eliminate distractions on the side and because some content was popping up was borderline inappropriate for young elementary students.

Working pretty, well, overall...

Though, I am experiencing a new problem...after viewing the videos the MAP view gets interfered with...basically cuts out part of the screen and replaces it with gray. Can't fix that without leaving game and re-entering. I'm still trying to figure it out...seems to have to do with screen orientation and whether I play the videos full screen.

I'll see if I can troubleshoot that some more. It may be the subject of a future post...

Larry
    chrish

by chrish » Mon May 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear about the trouble Larry, but I am really glad to know about safeyoutube. I always worry about all the junk you get along with the video there. I too remember having problems with the UI getting a bit confused in certain situations. If you can, let us know how to reproduce the problem. But I'll also try to track it down too.
  • l-gun

by l-gun » Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Chris,

I created this video showing the "partially gray screen" problem on the map.

It seems to happen when I have the video playing with the iPad in landscape orientation before hitting the "back" (to ARIS) button. Problem shows up after about 1:50 mark in video.

chrish

by chrish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 am

Nice documentation Larry. This should make the problem way easier to track down. In the meantime, it might be useful to lock the orientation on the device. Full screen videos won't be so nice, but maybe the screen is still big enough?