simple location game
  • chrisastro64

simple location game

by chrisastro64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:30 am

I'm trying to create a simple language learning game where learners can visit different locations on a map and answer some questions. What's the best way of doing it? Is it best to specify a plaque at each location? Or is it best to define a 'scene' for each location? I want the plaque to trigger when the learners physically get in range of the location.

Any ideas would be welcome or links to similar games.

Chris
    chrish

Re: simple location game

by chrish » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 pm

There are many, many ways to proceed, and certainly placing plaques is the simplest, and maybe for that reason alone, the best.

Part of what might help decide how to proceed is in what sense you'd like the players to answer the questions they are asked. I think you could get far imagining the questions asked in plaques as guiding a discussion among players as they continue to walk, talk and look. Maybe on the other end of the spectrum, you're looking for a very specific answer and you want the ARIS game to function as a verifier of the answers. Can you say more about the overall experience you're trying to go for?
  • chrisastro64

by chrisastro64 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to start with say 3 specific locations on a map, within say 100 m of each other. When the learner physically approaches the location, it triggers a question which they have to answer or a set of instructions such as taking a photo of something with their phones.

How do I go about doing this? How would I get the location to be triggered?

Do you have any examples of simple games like this which I could look at?

Many thanks once again for your help.

Chris Allen / Sweden
    chrish

by chrish » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:41 pm

The first part of what you describe should be easy enough. I'll try to give you the resources you need to get that far. My question tho is about in what sense the player answers the question and if there is to be any consequence, in the ARIS game, of their answer, or if you hope to use their answers elsewhere. We can get back to that after you get a bit further.

Basic ARIS video tutorial:
    [url]https://fielddaylab.org/courses/aris[\url]
    You likely only need to get to plaques and triggers.

To create 3 locations with questions, you might make 3 plaques. Then create 3 triggers for those plaques and put them at the intended locations. Of course maybe the words "plaque" and "trigger" need explanation relative to ARIS. You can also try

[url]http://manual.arisgames.org/editor/scenes[\url]

for a description of this basic conceptual model. There are also other small tutorials in the manual, like:

[url]http://manual.arisgames.org/tutorials/getting-started[\url]

Have a look at those, give them a try and see where you get stuck.
  • chrisastro64

by chrisastro64 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 am

Thankyou Chrish for taking the time to answer my questions.

I'll try to be more specific- I want the players to trigger the plaque and be presented with some questions when they physically approach the location on the map.

Imagine they approach an old building which they see as a plaque. A question then appears 'write down how old the building is by looking at the date on the door'. The learners have to record this date.

To answer the question, would they need to use a note which will then appear on the map?

Best wishes,

Chris
    chrish

by chrish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Okay, so in this case, there is a piece of information you wish for them to glean from the environment. How you make use of this in ARIS still depends on how you want their experience to unfold.

Let's say you wanted them to not be able to proceed in the game unless they got this date. Then you would create a plaque that says "Hooray, you got the date correct". Then you'd make a trigger for this plaque, a QR type trigger, and enter the date into the alphanumeric field.

For the next part of the tour/game, the next location, you would have a lock on its trigger:
    player has already seen "hooray" plaque

That way the player could not go to the next location (or see it on the map) until the opened the decoder and entered the correct date.

But this is just one possible scenario (and one way to enable this sort of scenario). For instance, if you use a conversation, you can send the player directly to the decoder and even give the decoder a temporary message that asks them to enter something specific.

There's no reason why they couldn't integrate ARIS with other stuff too. If they need to take notes, this could be done in other apps or with pencils. Great way to have teamwork no doubt.

Once you think of a few ways to play around with how you can use environmental information, I'd suggest too to consider how the finding of information contributes directly to the experience you're after for them. Is this like a scavenger hunt or the National Treasure movies, where the information hides secrets they want to know? Is the information something that allows them to understand something more deeply? As in History class, it is easy to ask for dates when what you really hope to get from students is a deeper sort of engagement.

I'd love to hear more about what your ultimate aims are once you start figuring out some of the technical stuff here.