[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Plaques - exit to.... - Field Day Forums
Plaques - exit to....
  • joltman

Plaques - exit to....

by joltman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:54 am

Two questions....

1. How is the default exit to destination determined for plaques? Right now, I've got a plaque exiting to the scanner...and I don't want that.

2. Is there a way to "exit to" a specific tab? I looked through the forum and saw some javascript suggestions and tried one...but it didn't seem to work...it didn't give the player anytime to read the plaque before it kicked them right out to the scanner. Here's what i tried:

<script type='text/javascript'>
    var ARIS = {};
    ARIS.ready = function()
    {
    ARIS.vibrate();
    ARIS.exitToTab("MAP");
    }
    </script>

PS. Figured out how to delete conversations :-)
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
  • chasleff

Re: Plaques - exit to....

by chasleff » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:14 am

I think by default whatever is at the top of the tabs is what the plaque will exit to, unless a trigger is set to fire when the plaque has been viewed.

So if you make or have a tab that you want to be the default destination, move it to the top of the tab list and the program should go there by default.

Otherwise I have made 'routing' plaques that fire right after a plaque has been seen. All that they contain is the ARISjs code to send the user to a destination once they have seen the plaque.

I have used the following code a lot as one of my games uses the Quest screen as the default thing to exit to.

<script type="text/javascript">
    var ARIS = {};
    ARIS.ready = function() {

ARIS.exitToTab("QUESTS");

}
    </script>

This code is the only thing the text area of that plaque.
    Charles Leffingwell
    ARISE Serious Game Programmer & Designer

• joltman

by joltman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:25 am

The "routing" plaque totally works! Thanks, Charles!!
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
  • joltman

by joltman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Ok...well, it DOES work....BUT when I've got 3 quests (or more) quests in a scene that can be completed in any order...I've found that doing an "OR" lock on my "exit to quests" (ETQ) plaque to get it to trigger when a quest is completed doesn't really work...particularly when the scene is supposed to switch when all 3 quests are completed. I tried adding 3 ETQ plaques (one for each quest) but that somehow prevents the scene switching trigger to fire....
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Would it be possible to diagram that a bit more @joltman? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the description but would like to try to help.
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:18 pm

So if the 'one time a plaque is viewed' solution is too simple for your situation, I think there are some options.
    For example, sometime we use a hidden attribute to monitor a situation.

We have one variable (attribute) that is for allowing the game to see if a patients ID bracelet has been recently checked. The situation being that when giving a patient medications, the patients identity must be verified. The catch is that that verification can expire due to other activities or the passage of time, requiring the student to recheck the patients ID (scan the ID bracelet) when needed in order to proceed.

So we crated an attribute called 'Patient Verified'. The attribute is set when the ID is scanned. Then taken away if other activities occur or 2 minutes has passed. When a medication is scanned, one plaque shows if this variable is set, another plaque shows when the variable is reset.

Another solution could be a hidden quest (from the user) that requires the completion of sub quests in order to complete.

I don't know if this helps your situation or not, but we use tracking attributes quite a lot to control things.
    Charles Leffingwell
    ARISE Serious Game Programmer & Designer