[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Exporting Player Points to a New Game - Field Day Forums
Exporting Player Points to a New Game
  • ccbrumwell

Exporting Player Points to a New Game

by ccbrumwell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Everyone. I've been off the grid for a while but I'm just about to start a new episode in my First World War history game, Though Poppies Grow .

I'm curious if there is a way to transfer/export player game points to a new game. Players could complete the first game (episode 1) then find their points intact when they play the second (episode 2).

I am interested in doing this because scrolling through the game objects in the editor are so long in my first episode that workflow suffers. Ideally, I would love to be able to put the game objects in folders, if that is a possibility in the future.

I know that it has been discussed on the Google Group, but navigating through long lists of objects and not being able to re-arrange them within scenes are significant deterrents to my students when they are working with ARIS. Some of them just lose interest in frustration.

On another note, a group of my Grade 10 students will be collaborating on historical fiction stories with a school in Germany on the interwar period in the two countries this month. We've already had 2 Skype sessions to set-up the activity and interest is high.
    chrish

Re: Exporting Player Points to a New Game

by chrish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Nice to hear from you Craig and exciting news about intercontinental collaboration. I have a question about your suggestion. What would "points" be? Locations of objects in your game? Things the player did? One possibility is to make a copy of your game and then change the relevant points. You might even be able to download the game as a JSON file, make edits a bit more textually and then upload the game, though I've not tried myself.

As far as more tools for author organization (folders, rearranging within scenes) I'll add my +1.
  • ccbrumwell

by ccbrumwell » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi Chris:

I hope all is well. I have created experience and status points (rank/medals) for players as they move through the recruitment, physical exam and basic training parts for the first episode. They really have no function here, but in the design of my upcoming episodes, players would be able to protect themselves with XP or SP depending on the scenario. I may also introduce health and combat points.

I have the XP and SP setup as collectable player attributes. I may change the names of the points because players may have an expectation of those titles from other games. I like your idea for a work around but I'd have to contact you for more details. I was also thinking of a way that players could dial in their points from episode to episode.

We Skyped with the Germans again today. The results should be very interesting

Craig
    chrish

by chrish » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

Ah so inventory or other aspects of the player that could carry over from one game to another. One idea of course would be to put all of your connected games under one "game" in ARIS, but that would probably be a nightmare for you to manage (though it would save uploading media over and over). Another thing I can think of is secret codes, though no way to automate them. It would be a real pain to do for more than a few simple options. Maybe separate scenes would be enough to keep you sane, but maybe not.

Here's the idea: let's say a player achieves master status in the first game, granting them certain privileges. You'd like them to start the second game as mater too. In the first game, you could give them a secret code. In the second game you could have a plaque that hands out the master attribute (or other stuff too), and the trigger for that plaque would be the secret code (using the QR code, but the decoder, not scanner).
  • ccbrumwell

by ccbrumwell » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Chris that is brilliant! That is exactly what I am going to do. Thanks so much. I'll let you know when I've got a first version done. It won't be any time soon but I'll stay in touch.

Craig