Completed Quests Lock icon visualization snafu
  • WaterGuerrilla

Completed Quests Lock icon visualization snafu

by WaterGuerrilla » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:23 pm

I am pleased to have time to finally utilize the icon screen for Quests to manage our game user game experience. By mixing pre-grayed-out icons for Incomplete Quests and colored icons for Completed Quests, I was optimistic about the Quests tab really working well for our game.

However, I am having trouble getting the Locks logic to perform the way it seems it ought.

Scenario: Incomplete (grayed-out icon) Quest Lock set to Player Has < 1 object. Complete (colored icon) Quest Lock set to Player Has @< 1 object.

Upon testing, Incomplete icon successfully defaults to being present at beginning before Player obtains object and successfully disappears upon Player obtaining object; however, Completed Quest (colored) icon does not appear in Quests list when this happens.

This is problematic.

What am I missing? Can someone evaluate my logic or offer advice?

I tried this several different ways before winnowing down to the above Locks logic which seems to me sound.

I'm going to keep bugging around in this and will post if I find a solution, but am grateful for any help.

MT
  • WaterGuerrilla

Re: Completed Quests Lock icon visualization snafu

by WaterGuerrilla » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:19 pm

I played around with this after solving some other problems and seem to have solved it.

So am answering my own question for the benefit of others and myself of the future...

So, the logic involved is the opposite of what would be intuitive. (But on re-reading Chris's Quests documentation more carefully, his documentation was in fact accurate and my assumptions were incorrect.)

Here's what I did to solve the problem.

I have left the Incomplete Quest (grayed-out) UnLocked by default.

I have Locked the Completed Quest (colored) by the Player-obtains-object criteria as before.

This seems to work the way it ought to.

Note: when it lights up, the Complete badge populates the end of the list of Incomplete Quests rather than replacing the Incomplete Quest where it was placed in the icon grid sequence.

MT
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:59 am

The way I think of it is the top section of the quest screen only controls whether the player can see the quest or not. It is kind of the quest setup screen to me. With a default action that occurs when selected.

And the bottom section of the quest screen controls whether the quest is considered complete or not and what happens when the quest is completed.

When I first started using ARIS quests, I instinctively thought the top was for all things regarding the incomplete quest and the bottom was all things about the complete quest. Which is not really the way it works since a completed quest could still be not visible if the locks at the top are not setup to show it. It is when I realized that the top was mostly just for whether the quest is visible to the user or not, and that is when things began to click for me.

In our game the quest appears bright and active when it is not yet complete. Then when the quest is completed, it is greyed out and has a checkmark (like it is done) look to it.
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm

I've always thought there was something a bit unintuitive about the two ways of altering the visibility of quests: visible and complete, and have tried my best to write the documentation to avoid confusion, but it's clear there's a way to go. I think in the end it has a logic to it but that's not much balm to confused users.I'd be happy to hear if there are specific suggestions in wording or approach that might help others avoid the cul de sac you found yourself in trying to understand how to set up quests.