Audio overlap in conversations
  • dg45

Audio overlap in conversations

by dg45 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I was wondering how I could stop audio from one line overlapping into the following conversation line. Currently if I hit continue in game before the audio finishes it will play over the next line until it completes and so on. Right now I'm using html to play the file from a url as outlined in the media section of the aris manual, am I missing anything? Perhaps I need to use javascript? Any help would be appreciated.
    chrish

Re: Audio overlap in conversations

by chrish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm

My guess is that this is just a bit of a gray area for ARIS. The HTML or javascript execution, like playing of an audio clip, isn't super connected to what ARIS thinks it's doing unless there is specific code to ask it to. There may be something to do with javascript to stop playing on exit, or maybe even the html, but there's not really anything to do in ARIS afaik.

Is there some way to turn this bug into a feature? audio bleeds out into the rest of the game. hmm
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:39 am

We are using javascript buttons now to play the audio and to shut it off upon exit
    chrish

by chrish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 am

@cleffingwell, I'm almost sure you've posted this code before, but I can't seem to dig it up. If you can post a sample, I'll get it added to the javascript page in the manual (and maybe a top level media page is in order to help people see their options).
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am

Greg, a workstudy working on the ARISE project, has fiddled around with this at length. I think he might be using some jquery. When he gets a chance I will ask him to post what he has discovered about this issue. I am not sure, but I think he has developed a separate 'customized' html page that we have placed on a remote server to allow total control of the audio the way we want it to work. The page he developed is rather involved with hot spots that a user can touch to play a 'lung sound' and when they touch another spot on the body image the previous sound is halted and the new sound plays. I'm sure he might have some simplified version of that which could be implemented within an aris plaque.

I will ask him about a recommendation he might have to do that.
    chrish

by chrish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am

Wow, that sounds impressive, but too bad it's not a bit easier. Still really good to share though. It sounds complicated, but not entirely out of the means and abilities of most, just currently unfamiliar.

Maybe a soft mod of sorts, changing the design to fit this strange behavior, might get you there more simply.
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

I think the key to what is needed for dg45 might be playing the sound using javascript (not necessarily ARISjs, perhaps on page load or with button) then javascript should also be able to end it.