[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Easy (-est) Way to Allow Scene Changes Based upon Quest Selection? - Field Day Forums
Easy (-est) Way to Allow Scene Changes Based upon Quest Selection?
  • l-gun

Easy (-est) Way to Allow Scene Changes Based upon Quest Selection?

by l-gun » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi,

I'm doing some testing to see if I can build a type of interactive tour experience with my 2nd/3rd grade class.

Our school building is 100 years old, and I want to allow the game user to be able to select a decade of choice, then interact with some "people from the past" who will share various facts, etc. about the history of the school.

My thought was to have roughly 10 quests all available at the outset of the game, each corresponding to a decade.

When a particular quest is "selected," the idea would be for some instructions to appear which would point the player to some actual physical space in the school building. In that space would be a QR code, that I'd like to use to then somehow trigger a scene change that would begin the interaction with the in-game character from that time (who would share information, photos, audio clips, etc.)

I'm a "long-term beginner." Can anyone point me in a good direction?

I was playing around with Edit Quest>Edit Events>Set Scene under the "Visible" section of the Edit Quest, but I'm not having luck with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByZtA ... GlqV2lnUnM

(Sorry, I had trouble inserting screen shots here.)

Larry Gundlach
    New Century School
    Verona, WI
  • l-gun

Re: Easy (-est) Way to Allow Scene Changes Based upon Quest Selection?

by l-gun » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Looks like EVENTS>Set Scene might be the way to go...
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Nice idea, let's see if we can help you make it all work. My first thought is to make sure to start small and work out the kinks in realizing your design there. So maybe one quest with one person to talk to first. Then go to three. Then maybe to ten.

Next, I'm not sure that having a bunch of scenes would be the easiest thing to do. To my mind, a "scene" in ARIS is nothing but a container for triggers. If you put all your triggers in a single scene, then you don't need to worry about switching among them. They will all be scannable.

To set up a conversation with a historical figure, I would create a "conversation". This can be a back ad forth between the player and the figure, edited in the conversations tab. Then, in a scene (container for triggers) create a trigger to that conversation. This starts out as a location trigger, but if you click on it, in the right sidebar you can change it to QR code (then make sure to scroll down and hit save).

I'm not sure if I'm making sense though. A "scene" in ARIS is just a box. Any trigger has to be i some scene, but a scene is not a fundamental bit of interactions or anything. The actual interactions and presentations are things like conversations and plaques.

You also mention quests to guide your player to the conversations, and that would be a possibility, but for me quests are quite complicated to get working. You might have an easier time having each conversation directly unlock another, using plaques before and in between to help the player now what to do next, or you could even create a picture that has a list of places to go on it, and give that to the player, either as a piece of paper or as an item in the game. Even if you make all conversations available at once, I would probably use these more pedestrian means than muck about with quests.

That said, if you get them working, that is what quests will do. Think about them as instructions or notifications for the player. They sit atop whatever interactions and content you have planned, but do not contain it. There are a lot of locks to set so that quests show up ad become completed at the right time.

I hope this helps, but if only a bit, please keep asking. We'll help get you there.
  • Johnclair24

by Johnclair24 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 am

The name of the quest as it will appears in the players quest list.
  • l-gun

by l-gun » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:54 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks much for the thoughtful and thorough reply! Very helpful, for sure.

Part of why I thought of using the "separate quests" structure is to be sure to allow the players to chart their own path through the decades. Since people will be using the game as part of an actual tour of the building, I want to make sure that a group of users that begins at the same time doesn't keep "stacking up" in certain areas as they all progress through the physical locations in the same order.

I probably don't understand all of the ins and outs of conversations well enough to appreciate the possible simplicity that your suggestions of using a single scene might allow. I was thinking that the triggers, and just my own keeping track of everything, would become quite complicated if it were all in a single scene. Each interaction with an in-game "tour guide" from the past will involve several repetitions of conversation, taking a look (or listen) at a plaque, picking up some items, continued conversation, etc. Would that be possible in a single scene.

Your "start small" suggestion seems smart.

After I discovered the Events>Set Scene option last night, I did have some success creating 2 quests and getting them working. (Actually 1 full quest from the 1950s, and just a small "test quest" from the 1920s to see if the scene change would be successful.)

At some point, after I work a bit more and clean things up, could I perhaps add you as an editor of the game and ask you to take a quick look for some feedback?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my request.

Larry
    chrish

by chrish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 am

It sounds like you're getting the hang of these more complicated bits, and yes, I'd be happy to take a look directly at some point. One nice thing about the new forums is that my ARIS user name is the same as here, chrish.

In your game, for choosing among many options for what to do, the quests panel, in icon mode (set in game>tabs), could be pretty helpful. Since it's indoors, you can't rely on physical separation on the map to help.

You're right about things getting to be a bit of a mess when they're all in the same scene. Fundamentally what scenes do is to put things in separate boxes and help keep each box relatively simple. It's just that they take a good understanding of locks and ARIS to get working right (not superhuman but a level beyond the basic stuff, more than a lot of people really need) and the errors they make are hard to diagnose if you're not super familiar with ARIS.

If a player or playtesting author somehow ends up in the wrong scene due to a missing lock on a scene transfer trigger (and that lock by default is missing—you have to put one there to make sure you don't automatically leave the original scene), all they can see is that the things that they were expecting to be there aren't. It's hard to notice.

But I guess now that we have brought it up, there's no reason you can't go in that direction. Scenes and quests aren't bad or broken, just a bit complicated. If your QR codes aren't working, I'd look to whether you're in the correct scene first. If your quests show up as completed at the beginning it's likely you don't have a lock on their completion.

A simple-ish fix might be to add the title of the scene to the UI somewhere, the map maybe, but somewhere else too for non-map games. Though that involves actual ARIS development, so not that simple.

Something that you can do now, if you're worried about invisibly being in the wrong scene, is create a location based trigger for one existing conversation/plaque etc. in each scene (with no locks), and enable the map tab in your game. When you are playtesting, you can check the map to see which trigger is available as a proxy for which scene you're in.

In the end, you have a lot of options to proceed, and the one thing I would keep in mind is to be flexible in how you imagine ARIS fitting the shape of what you want the player's experience to be. Your commitment to allow the player to choose among multiple interactions instead of clumping up on a single path or doing the same thing every time could be addressed in many ways, maybe even as simply as telling players "There are a lot of QR codes in the building. Spread out and see if you can find them all!"
  • l-gun

by l-gun » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this additional feedback. I'm going to try the scene signals suggestion to help me as I work on the game.

Sorry I don't have time now for more of a reply, but I appreciate your input.

Larry