GPS accuracy problems on ipad
  • dhhanrahan

GPS accuracy problems on ipad

by dhhanrahan » Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 am

Hi all, I'm having issues with the app not properly reporting the player's location which is making plaques unusable. Frequently the app will lose my location while walking which is understandable, however, when standing still it will sometimes report me being over 50-75 meters away from where I actually am. I used two different university wifi connections and multiple ipads to no avail, I also checked my location on google maps and it was accurate so I don't think the problem is on my end. I currently have the game set on sever dependent but I've tried local evaluation as well. Am I having these problems because I'm using ipads and wifi or is there some setting I'm not selecting? Any help would be appreciated.
    chrish

Re: GPS accuracy problems on ipad

by chrish » Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 am

If you're iPad is wifi only, then it does not actually contain a GPS chip. This places some pretty big limitations on location detection, though the iPad will still use its knowledge of wifi access points to try. So this may be what you're seeing. Also, GPS quality can depend greatly on local conditions and the weather.

What I've always done is to workaround this in my design with an understanding that location detection will not be perfect. For instance, in Mentira, where we were using iPod touches, there would be an initial plaque with a large radius, maybe 50m. This would provide players with instructions to go find a particular thing in the environment and use this information in the scanner or decoder, usually something like a address on a mailbox, for the "real" game object's trigger.
  • smholland

by smholland » Wed May 31, 2017 11:48 am

I playtested a game last week with an iPad and was also astonished at how poor the location accuracy is on our campus wifi. We're going to try out beacons for our geolocated functions in the game since we want students to be able to use iPads and as a department, it's difficult to justify the purchase of an iPhone. That's too bad, since the GPS function in an iPhone still works when in airplane mode, or simply in Wi-Fi.
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm

You may also want to consider using iBeacons. They will give you accurate location detection, but cost about $10/each.
  • smholland

by smholland » Wed May 31, 2017 5:00 pm

We are planning to use beacons to solve that issue and purchased five of these: https://store.radiusnetworks.com/collec ... beacon-dot
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:44 am

I've had a lot of fun with the beacons this spring. A couple things to know:

1. Each brand has its own management software where you set the UUID (most come with all units on the same default, so this is usually needed). Some brands have nice software, some do not. My radbeacons are nice. Social Media is kinds creepy and weird, but eventually I got those going too.
    2. ARIS is really sensitive to syntax. You need to enter the UUID with capitals and dashes or else your game will not even launch.
    3. There are a couple spots of inconsistency, where you are near the beacon but the object does not always trigger. Turning bluetooth off/on seems to clear this up. Not the best, but just in case you come across it.

Let us know how they work out!