No rupees
    chrish

No rupees

by chrish » Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Can anyone else get rupees to show up in Rupee Collector? I'm running a workshop and they're not dropping.
    chrish

Re: No rupees

by chrish » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 am

I've run this down a bit, and sure enough it looks like factories are a broken at the moment.

If you have the trigger setting within the factory set to immediate, regardless of refresh rate and all the rest, you will be inundated with an endless cacophony of whatever the factory spawns. If you have it set to "touch", you will likely never see anything spawn.

I've seen this same behavior across a couple games this week and with various other settings. It seems possible a recent server update is at fault, and hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it with @phildo in the next week or two. We are traveling to run a workshop in Aalto University together (Helsinki).
  • smholland

by smholland » Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 am

I tried playing Rupee collector last week as well and sat and waited but no rupees. I did notice that when the game first opens up into the map, I could see a bunch of rupees spawn and drop to the map for an instant before they were hidden.
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 am

Thanks for checking this out on your end. I think now we know there's definitely something wrong with factories at the moment. It may take a while to clear up. Too bad for those of you who hope to beat my high score :(
  • bernadet

by bernadet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi Chris,

I was very relieved to find this post, since Dana contacted me asking if I could figure out why the ARIS CyberHero League game isn’t working, and after checking our game triggers I couldn’t see what was wrong. Since the game relies heavily on factories, I’m thinking this is why our game ‘breaks’ after the intro and doesn’t even load the first conversation (when the conversation ends, it exits to a plaque that triggers our first factory).

I’ve been on a leave of absence for the past year… unfortunately my husband worsened after the 2016 ARIS summit, and he’s now been in the hospital 16 months. I only share this to explain why I’ve been completely awol for so long. I’ve just resumed my PhD studies, and after working a fair amount with factories for Dana’s game, I had also thought they would be good to use in the next iteration of Explorez… Have you by chance heard anything in regards to when factories might be fixed? Will factories continue to be an element in ARIS? Or should I direct this question to David or someone else on the ARIS team? Thanks in advance & hope all is well with you.
    chrish

by chrish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 pm

So sorry to hear about your recent troubles Bernadette.

The factories are still broken. Essentially there just hasn't been any spare cycles for the Field Day team to devote to troubleshooting it yet. None of their projects currently fund ARIS dev. From the bit of sleuthing Phil did this summer, I bet it's a simple fix. I would not think this feature has deep problems that would lead to removal unless another refactor came along where they became deprioritized. Just need a bit of money so that dev can take a look. I'd love to help look for funding that could give us a way to keep things like this updated and maintained. I know too that the CASLS team got close on the Android port but it is essentially now stuck for the same reason.

Sorry I don't have any better news, but I'm glad to hear that you're back working on this stuff again. Some exciting new stuff in ARIS that you might have fun with for a new Explorez are the bluetooth beacons and AR view triggers. I've used them bot ha fair amount this last year and they're neat. I've been keeping up with the other language learning folks too, so I hope we'll get a chance to run into each other soon!