[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
iPad text size problems - ARIS App 2.2.2 causing problems for our scenarios - Page 3 - Field Day Forums
iPad text size problems - ARIS App 2.2.2 causing problems for our scenarios
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

Re: ARIS App 2.2.2 causing problems for our scenarios

by djgagnon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Mike released 2.2.4 to the App Store today as a temporary fix to the iPad scaling issue. It displays Web Pages and Plaques at 2x size, much like the way it used to scale. This is a good start!

With that said, we need a better long term plan. By doing everything at 2x we aren't using the real screen resolution of the device.

Mike and Phil are compiling our options and we will open this conversation up again shortly.

David
  • joltman

by joltman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:43 am

Hi David,

The fast response is much appreciated...however....I'm still experiencing significantly smaller text on iPad - particularly in conversations (which I have a lot of in my games) and on the quests tab - where I'm using the icon layout - on iphone, 3 quests fit across the top whereas on ipad, there are 7 icons across the top. I'd post pictures but I don't see how to do that here...I could in Google Groups....I'll look through the help...
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:46 am

We also would benefit from some sort of option to enlarge default text in conversations and other text areas.

I wonder if eventually there could be a checkbox in the editor to indicate a 'legacy iPad' setting that the App could recognize and implement a special set of CSS settings.

Another idea might be for the text areas in the editor to have checkboxes for font-size. x-small, small, normal, large, x-large. Although I don't know if there is a need for the smaller sizes right now...
    Charles Leffingwell
    ARISE Serious Game Programmer & Designer

chrish

by chrish » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 pm

FWIW I've always thought the text in v2 was too small on iPhones. I'd love a bigger default as well as the ability for the global text settings on the device to affect the way text in ARIS renders. I also appreciate that this has ramifications, and may not be a cheap fix. The layout of many things maggot broken by even a small change in text size.
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 pm

We are not really interested in making the iPad look like the iPhone. We welcome the opportunity to design and style to take advantage of the opportunities that the iPad supported App can offer.

We have to wait until ARIS decides how they are going to address this issue.

The perfect time for us to adjust our scenarios would be between semesters so I hope a solution can be reached for us to be able to at least start adapting our published scenarios for the new App version before Spring semester begins.

We have acquired space on a server that one of the consortium colleges has made available to us to store customization pages, css, js, and reusable media. The plan is to pull all of the embedded styling in our games and link to external styling and javascript. This will allow us to consistently style our games and make needed changes easily.

The painful part will be having to touch all the embedded code and adding consistent classes across all scenarios.

We have tested external CSS and Javascript in plaques and it seems to work OK. We did run into some strange caching issues that I think were caused by the use of a folder within our Wordpress public site. We would change external CSS in the ftp folder, but it would take 20 minutes for a page using the css to 'see' the new code as available and use it.

That makes testing a little time consuming, let me tell you.

All in all I think we are poised and ready for whatever ARIS decides to do with the display issues. We are eagerly anticipating news so we can get to work again.
    Charles Leffingwell

chrish

by chrish » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:48 pm

On the topic of iPad scaling, I realize there is likely another issue that hasn't been noticed yet since Charles and co. don't use the map, and which I even feel on the phones: map icons. Could we try out a build where these are twice as big (in each linear dimension)? They are so tiny now. I never thought of this, but in testing a game with a new player, they confused icons that were part of the map itself with what is in ARIS. And it's true, the game icons can't really stand out because of size. I know that what most beginners do is use the same image for media and icon, and I think bigger icons would make this default behavior turn out better as well.

I know that the other side of this seesaw is clutter. All of the icons getting in the way. I think we should look into developing features that actively allow the player or author to manage clutter, maybe allowing multiple map views, but my guess is that we could bump the current icon size quite a bit without actually getting problems in games where there aren't clutter problems already or exacerbating existing clutter too much.

Charles, this has to be frustrating. It seems like our current beta testing procedures could use some revision, getting enough time and opportunity for user input before changes go live since they can break things people depend on. Rollouts through test flight seem to be working on a technical level. Maybe just announcing new builds with a thread here and having a two week evaluation period in normal cases. I also understand that this is a weird case since the universal build could not technically be reversed.
  • joltman

by joltman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Whatever the solution is, it needs to be simple enough for game designers that don't know how to use CSS or other "advanced" external solutions.

At the end of the day, we just need all of the game content to be readable (larger) on any device - iPad or iPhone - without having to customize or jump through complicated work-arounds.

I was honestly fine with the original 2X view that iPads used....it worked.
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:27 am

I still think a solution that allows 'legacy' support for games designed prior to this App release is needed. I'm not sure how it can be done. We are kind of stuck in-between now and not able to correct backwards or move forward until a solution is reached.

The external CSS solution for us was needed anyway, because of all the special stuff we have to do, but we don't do it everywhere. We have lots of content that uses the ARIS default style.
    Charles Leffingwell

djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Update,

The ARIS folks in Madison and the ARISE team at CVTC have met over the last few days to come up with a strategy for ARIS on iPads. Here is where we are heading.

1. Develop a iPad 2x mode, available in game settings, to help folks transition. We will double the size of images, most font sizes, etc.

2. Leave the majority of screens unchanged in the default mode. 12pt font and actual pixel dimensions look quite reasonable on an iPad and follow the convention of all other iPad apps. The tiled quest and inventory screens could have there image sizes increased, but leave the text at system defaults.

Any feedback on this plan?
  • joltman

by joltman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi David,

The plan sounds good but I guess we won't really know without seeing it actually enacted. Perhaps some of us could beta test it before it's pushed out as an update on the app store? I'd be willing to Test Flight it :-)
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University