iPad text size problems - ARIS App 2.2.2 causing problems for our scenarios
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

Re: ARIS App 2.2.2 causing problems for our scenarios

by djgagnon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Fantastic. Private message me with the email I should send the testflight email to.
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 pm

I still think everything could use a bit more ink: larger, thicker fonts all around would help visibility everywhere.
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 am

Is there an update on when the next ARIS App Beta might be available for testing through test flight?
    Charles Leffingwell
    ARISE Serious Game Programmer & Designer
    http://www.ariseproject.com
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Its been a bit slowing thus far. Right now we are shooting for early next week.

David
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:12 pm

OK. Thank you.
    Charles Leffingwell
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:55 am

Hello,

I was wondering if a side-product of the work you are doing to develop the new iPad supported ARIS App could be some recommendations for media sizes, aspect ratios or other media related specifications that will work well in different areas of the games.
    Charles Leffingwell
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:10 pm

2.3.0 is in processing in TestFlight. It is a test of the 2x mode we have been discussing:

- Plaques and WebPages ar double scaled
    - Quest and Item Lists have double sized icons, normal sized text
    - Item and Conversations are normal sized text
    - Map, Decoder, Scanner are normal sized

It feels pretty weird right now.

Here is what I propose for 2.3.1

- We add the switch to the editor for "2x size on iPad" so we can turn these features off (which is the default)
    - In 2x mode we continue doubling with the text in Quests, Item Lists, Item Descriptions, Map, Conversations, Decoder, and Scanner
    - In Normal Mode, we turn all this back off EXCEPT having 2x Quest and Item Icons

Check out the beta and tell me what you think. If you sent me your email, you should receive a message from test flight.

David
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:46 am

David,

I have not received a test flight invite as of 7:30 am on 12/14.

The legacy features you describe for 2.3.0 sound OK. Increased text size in conversations would be generally useful too according to what I see from comments on the forum. We will use the legacy 2.3.0 setting as a bridge to converting our old games to the new iPad format that will be supported in 2.3.1

The specifications you describe for 2.3.1 sounds good. We intend to use the higher resolution setting of the App for all of our scenarios we are working on now, and we want to convert all our old games to use it too. The most important thing for ARISE right now is to be able to design for the 2.3.1 release. Currently we have no way to test our designs out on the iPad to see what the higher resolution will look like, and adjust our styling. Sounds like we have to wait for the 2.3.1 release to move forward with our next scenario release in our project.
    Charles Leffingwell
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:40 am

Apple is dragging their feet a bit. Usually the approval only takes an hour but I can see the beta has still not gone out. Certain some time today...

I see the 2x iPad mode as a temporary solution until games can be ported to the native sizes. I'm glad to hear you are planning to build all new content using native resolutions.

David
  • chasleff

by chasleff » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:02 am

Initial testing shows a TC game looks good on the iPad. The qualtrics survey at the end (external site link) is abnormally large, but usable.

In simulation scenarios, things also look OK; external vitals customization looks good at enlarged size, but other external websites are not showing well.

For example, in the MAR we now include a link from a drug name to an external resource website that includes detailed drug information. We also link to an external qualtrics survey at the end of the simulation. These both render too large and some of the webpage parts are overlapping each other.

That being said, the external sites are usable and it is something we can live with temporarily as a bridge to re-styling our published scenarios.

As far as beta 2.3.0, from the point of view of our project, I can say that this 2x mode beta will meet our needs to support our legacy games until we can re-style them.

We are eagerly anticipating the 2.3.1 release. That and the editor modification will help us move forward.

We will continue testing 2.3.0 and report any issues we find here.
    Charles Leffingwell