ARIS Application filling up application cache?
  • rleduc

ARIS Application filling up application cache?

by rleduc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Here in the ARISE Project we've run into an issue with video media playback in ARIS games.

We're programming a new series of Clinical Handoff games that use a lot of videos to teach students to pick out important information from hand-off reports. These videos run about 8 - 10 MB in size. We've discovered that after about 15 of these videos have been played, any future attempt to play new videos results in only the ARIS triangle appearing, indicating missing or broken media.

Once we hit the "about 15 videos" limit, we can replay already viewed videos but cannot play new videos.

Force closing ARIS fixes this issue, and allows new videos to be played. Because force closing the application fixes the issue, I suspect it has something to do with the application cache filling up, but I'm unsure.

Does anyone know why we are unable to play new media after so many videos are played?

Edit:
    I've created a test game called "Video Playback Issue Text - ARISE", which demonstrates the issue. In this game, the videos break after about number 13. I'm not sure I should "publish" it, or share it with certain people. For the time being I've set it to published, so it can be accessed by others.
  • rleduc

Re: ARIS Application filling up application cache?

by rleduc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 am

A bit of an update on this issue, since we've been testing to see if there is a work around.

Right now it appears that only videos hosted in ARIS count toward this "break" limit.

I have two test scenarios right now, one where all of the videos viewed are hosted as media in the ARIS game, and one where all the videos are hosted externally on a server and embedded in plaques with HTML. Both of these scenarios have 20 videos each.

When viewing the ARIS hosted videos first, I am able to watch 16 / 20 of the videos. When I then try to view any of the externally hosted videos, none of them will load or play. I am still able to view the ARIS hosted videos I have already viewed, but no new ARIS or externally hosted videos.

However, when I try viewing the externally hosted videos first, I am able to watch all 20 externally hosted videos, and then 16 / 20 ARIS hosted videos before hitting the "breaking" point. When I then try to go back and watch the externally hosted videos, the external videos are now broken as well and will not load. If I try to rewatch the ARIS videos, I am able to rewatch any ones that I was able to play before video playback broke.
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Reinforcing Ryan's observations...I am able to confirm this is an issue and the most worrisome part for us is the cumulative nature of it. We can run a game that shows 9 9MB videos. Then use another game and see the error occur very early after only seeing 6 9MB videos. Then any game after that the error will occur for any videos. This occurs when the video media is stored in the Media Folder of the ARIS editor. Storing the media on another server avoids the issue.

There seems to be 3 ways to reset the device:
    1. Uninstall and reinstall ARIS
    2. Force close the ARIS app and re-open it.
    3. Go into iPad settings for the ARIS app and clear the cache.
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes, this sounds pretty clear. There is some limit to the amount of caching ARIS can do before it fails. We've used that number of videos in games before, but they were all 10 seconds or so, so they didn't add up to the sheer size you are likely talking about.

If you want to troubleshoot, clone a copy of the client from github (https://github.com/ARISGames/iOSClient) and try to run your game in debug mode. I'm sure an error will pop in the console that will put you on the right track. Alternately, we could setup a contract to fix the bug for you.

David
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm

I don't think the grant has much money left (or time, ends in 6 weeks), but I will ask. We have published 151 'games' and have met the goal we set for grant... and we have a server we can use for a workaround by hosting the videos on a separate server. So I think we are OK.

It's been a great 3.5 years!

mostly
    djgagnon
    Site Admin

by djgagnon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Wow Charles. 3.5 years! Congrats on such a significant project.

It sounds like the separate hosting solution works just fine for what you need.

David