notebook mic & video crash app
  • Yovannita

Re: notebook mic & video crash app

by Yovannita » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Hello! Did you finally solve the problem? if so, how? I just started using ARIS and encountered the same issue. I have an iPhone 7 running iOs 10.3.2.

Thanks!
  • joltman

by joltman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Sadly, no. I've never resolved the issue and it still persists. I've resorted to using a different device when using the notebook .
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    http://www.julieoltman.com
  • Yovannita

by Yovannita » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks for replying!!

I see that it doesn't crash on my iPad! But I want students to use their phones. For a language class the voice note feature is really important! Can anyone else here help us? :D
  • joltman

by joltman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:07 am

I don't think the issue applies to all iphones, just some. The notebook features do work on my sons' iphones...which have the same configuration as mine. So, I believe it has to be a setting somewhere...however I even wiped my iPhone and set it up as new but that didn't fix it. Sorry I have no answers! :-)
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Jeez, this is so weird. I've not come across it since this first gave you trouble Julie. I'm wondering if this is bigger than ARIS. I looked a bit, and don't really know what I'm doing, but I did find this at StackOverflow, about changes to permissions since iOS10:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38498275/ios-10-changes-in-asking-permissions-of-camera-microphone-and-photo-library-c

Maybe you could get on the beta ARIS so that crash logs could be easier to see. Of course this assumes there are some cycles in Madison to take a look.
  • SunnieLiu

by SunnieLiu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:17 am

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to find some place where I can ask the same questions. I have the exact same situation, exactly the same problems as Julie described, and I also did every check/change on the settings as Julie did. And unfortunately, the problem still exists.

I have used ARIS to design place-based language games since 2015. The recording notes function has always been an important feature in the game because it allows students to record their discussions with their team members or interviews with other people. I firstly encountered the recording notes crashes ARIS bug last year (2017). Our team has three iPads, five iPhones, different OS, different series, none of them work on the recording notes function. At that time, we were collecting students' play-through data for analysis, so we have researchers video-recording the gaming process. We ended up having students talking to OUR cameras, instead of recording it on the app.
    I'm currently designing another game for my ESL students. I have tried to avoid using the recording notes function in the game design, but I feel very limited in that this can't reach the full potential of such a mobile-enabled place-based gaming environment for my students. Can somebody help with this problem please?

Also, my game couldn't load on either of the iPads, it only runs on the iPhones. Is it because my media file is too big? Please please help.
  • SunnieLiu

by SunnieLiu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 am

My original post is gone after I hit submit! Now it's nowhere to be found...
    I hope I'm not double posting here.
    I also have the same problems. I did the exact same checking and changing steps as Julie did except for contacting Apple. I first found this problem last year when iPhone 7 and 7+ have the recording --> crash bug while the old iPhones don't have this problem. Now all of the Apple devices in our team (including iPhones, iPads, different year, different iOS) have this problem.
    I used to appreciate this function a lot to have my students record their conversations with people on campus, now it's a bummer that every note has to be a written one.
    Please please somebody help!
  • joltman

by joltman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:39 am

Oh no - one the one hand, I’m glad it’s not just me but on the other, I am so sad to see someone else have trouble with the mic/notebook! This issue still persists on my iPhone 6S running the latest iOS and version of ARIS. I have basically given up trying to fix/solve it. And as you mention, it does take away a very useful tool when designing games. It still doesn’t matter what game I play (or build) or what ARIS account I use...the mic crashes my iPhone. :(
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
  • SunnieLiu

by SunnieLiu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 am

Hi Julie,

Thanks for replying. I still didn't want to give up the "interview people" feature in my game, since it's a language game, talking to people is necessary. So I told the students to video record their interviews with their own camera (point the camera to the floor if other people feel uncomfortable with the video recording, of course) and use the media upload function (the fourth button on the notebook), and it works. Of course I ended up sacrificing the data storage in the game, I just need to clear out the video notes after they game session every time.

Hope this helps you!
  • joltman

by joltman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 am

Hi Sunnie,

That's a great idea...unfortunately for my research, I am working with children and my IRB does not allow for photographing or videoing of the kids...just audio recording...sigh. I am hoping that this issue doesn't "spread" to the iPads we're using and I hope it disappears when I (eventually) get a new iPhone! Until then, I carry around an iPad when testing my games...
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University