Special characters/accents bug
  • JoCEF

Special characters/accents bug

by JoCEF » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello everyone,

My team and I have encountered a bug a few times during the creation process of our game which displayed accented letters (the game is in French) as ÃÃÃÃ. Our game is location-based and our devices are set to French. This bug seems to be random as it sometimes happen, sometimes doesn't at the same locations and with the same devices. However, yesterday I was not able to fix this bug. Everytime I entered the game (after having exited the application entirely), the bug was even more important (the ÃÃÃÃ multiplying). Here is a picture:

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? It is really hindering the playability of the game.

Thank you very much,

Joannie
  • jdolane5

Re: Special characters/accents bug

by jdolane5 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 am

I replaced some of the accents with something called UTF-8 C1 Controls, and it seems to have worked. It might be that the HTML or Javascript might try to read the special characters that we type in directly from the keyboard and get thrown off?

If this is the problem, then we might have to go in and replace all of the accented characters with UTF-8 C1 controls. Either that, or defining out HTML with <html></html> tags might make a difference.

Notice how the accent on ''résoudre'' is okay, but the others are not (the ones that I changed are working and the ones that I didn't change are not).

Basically, 'résoudre' has to be entered in the field as r&eacute;soudre

Jeremy
    Attachments
    Accent.png
  • jdolane5

Re: Special characters/accents bug

by jdolane5 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

I've done a lot of testing and the only thing that works every time is using the following tags for the TEXT (and the <html></html> tags must be outside of the Javascript in order for it to get read properly):

<html>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">

r&eacute;sourdre

</meta>
    </html>

will display "résoudre" and will save properly (as long as the <html></html> tags do not include Javascript)