Plaque exit to Conversation?
  • WaterGuerrilla

Re: Plaque exit to Conversation?

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Okay. I think I got it now. You have to paste the javascript into Events>Run JS on the viewed Plaque itself and then it routes you to exit to where you want it to go when you hit continue. Multiple successful tests and no more of that fuddy duddy squeezed-aside screen. At least for this case.

When I tried to used another Plaque with the JS and lock it to unlock when the relevant Plaque is viewed, I had inconsistent results; it would work one time and not thereafter, probably something to do with how the Lock is rendered rather than the JS.

THANK YOU.

Small victories...
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Any ideas why I am still getting destinations squished to the side in other instances?

I've mocked up a barebones game where I am now testing these functions separately from our main game and in the barebones test game, just a simple exit to player tab works fine; it inhabits the whole screen.

Exiting a Conversation to the Player Tab in our game, however, results in the Player page coming up but being swept to the side.

This suggests to me that I've introduced some complication that prevents the command from being totally executed but I don't know what it might be in order to weed it out.

Thoughts?
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:46 am

I do not know exactly what triggers the 'shoved aside' behavior or not. That is happening to our scenarios in some cases too. I don't know how to control it at this time, except maybe to throw the player to a plaque or specific destination at the end of the conversation. Maybe it goes to that when the program does not have a specific destination to go to.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Okay. Thanks. At least in my test cases, we are routing the Player directly to the Plaque/Convo that is swept aside in favor of the menu. Not sure why this occurs inconsistently.
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 pm

I have a bit of a lower class suggestion than Charles that you might try. Do you really need a plaque to send a player to a conversation? Couldn't you write the information that you would have in the plaque as the first part of the conversation? This might not be the ticket if you need the screen layout to work a certain way for each, but I would encourage feeling flexible with how separate objects in ARIS may or may not represent separate experiences for the player.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Right. I hear you. For me, it's sending the player from a video (which is in a Plaque) back to a list of videos (which is a Conversation) after they've watched it and are going to hit continue to exit the Plaque. Our play testers wanted to go back immediately to the list of videos once they watch the first one, etc., and they are right. This is for a very indoorish part of the game where they were getting confused when they were dumped out to the map when they weren't using the map to find plaques but are using the game logic. So following Charles' suggestion allows me to do that. And they can rewatch the videos if they missed something because they go back to the directory of videos, basically.

If videos were allowed in Conversations, then I would see where your logic could work better. (Except then I'd have to build videos into Characters in order for them to be part of Conversations, and I've already got a mile-long list of "characters" that are basically duplicates of just the 2D media uploads that are there to present plaque-like context within Conversation threads.

I've been loading our videos into plaques.

MT
  • hito11

by hito11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

One way to do it I think could be to have another plaque with ARIS JS appear after the plaque in question is viewed. It actually would not appear to the user but just would go straight to the conversation.

<script type="text/javascript">
    var ARIS = {};
    ARIS.ready = function() {
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 pm

I have too noticed the menu behaving strangely from time to time, but haven't tracked it down. Thanks for helping narrow it.