A few technical questions
  • JoCEF

A few technical questions

by JoCEF » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Hello everyone,

My team and I are designing a game with ARIS and we still have a few questions/technical problems for which we didn't find answers in the forums or in the tutorials.

-When the player exits the game and come back, they restart at the beginning even if they press "continue". Is there a way to save the game so they come back where they left off?

-Is it possible for players to replay only some parts of the game? For example, we are using plaques at the beginning of conversation (conversation unlocks after plaque is read), but when the player replays them, only the plaque is re-playable. Similarly, is it possible for the player to go back in conversation to read previous lines?

-Finally, there is a flashing screen between plaques and conversations that show the last menu option the player used (e.g. inventory flashing). Is there any way to smooth the transitions?

Thank you very much,

Joannie
    chrish

Re: A few technical questions

by chrish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am

Players should pick up where they leave off if they select “continue” but I could see design issues with locks or how players log in making it not seem that way (or perhaps you’ve found a bug). Can you describe a bit more what you’re hoping players to see and what seems to go wrong?

The other forms of replay are mostly in how you trigger and lock the plaques and conversations. At the top left of a conversation there is also a back button (though this is not the most discoverable) that can be optionally disables by the author.

One way I like to make things available later is to create a separate trigger for say a conversation that makes it available in another way once the player has gone through the first time, maybe a map trigger or adding a tab to the player ui (game > tabs in the editor can add any object as a part of the ui).
  • JoCEF

by JoCEF » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:00 am

Hello Chrish,

Thank you so much for your reply!

Regarding the problem with the "continue" button, what is happening now is that we play the game and, for example, finish a conversation or a plaque, and then exit. However, when we re-enter the game and click "continue" we restart at the very beginning. Ideally, we would like the players to start exactly where they left off, or close.

Thank you for your other two suggestions, I will try those!

Joannie
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Forgive if I'm going over ground you've already covered.

Are you familiar with locks and their use? In ARIS, everything is always available, there is no sense of order, until you start using locks.

For instance I have a trigger to a conversation that I only want the player to go through once. Then I put a lock on that trigger to be (there are a few options of exactly what you do, but this is one) "player has not yet exited _this_ conversation". In general, a lock like "player has not yet ...(whatever you want to lock)" will disappear something after its seen.

This statement is true when the player starts the game, and that is the key that opens the lock, making the trigger accessible. Once the player goes through the conversation though (until they reset their progress), the statement is false and so the key no longer works and the trigger is locked away.

You can also use locks within conversations if you want so that the player, upon rejoining, won't see conversation parts they've been through. But in practice, it's usually easier and simpler to create separate conversations, and then to use locks on their trigger s to order them appropriately.
  • JoCEF

by JoCEF » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply!

I am familiar with the locks system and my team and I have been using locks to make plaques or conversations appear when X is satisfied. We have also used the "player has not yet" lock to make plaques and conversations disappear at some point in the game. I believe, then, our problem is at the beginning of the game, where we have not implemented this, but only a linear set of locks. We will give this a try! We didn't think elements had to disappear in order for player not to restart from the beginning. Makes more sense now!

This should solve our issue! Thanks again!

Joannie