[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Global Settings Location - Field Day Forums
Global Settings Location
  • jacksoncoulter

Global Settings Location

by jacksoncoulter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:36 pm

We are working on implementing hiding of notes on the map via a global setting for the iOS client. Where are the settings for the application stored and how should we go about creating a new one?
    chrish

Re: Global Settings Location

by chrish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm not sure how to best help you with this or what exactly you're after. Do you want to take a game that currently has notes and make those notes invisible to all players? There are plenty of options for selectively displaying notes, though not as many or as easy to discover as would be best. Two that I can think of off the bat are using the fact that players only see notes that were created in the scene they are in. If you move players to another scene, the notes disappear. The other is that the Notebook tab of the player UI can be turned on/off using locks or entirely. Go to game > tabs in the Editor to change the availability of the notebook for players.

I wrote about this in a bit more detail on my blog a ways back. Here's the link.

• WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 pm

You know, I read this initial post earlier and misinterpreted it. But now I think the author may be wrestling with the same hurdle we have been re: "hiding Notebook posts" globally.

You have to segregated Notebook posting to a separate scene and then build some kind of toggle switch to get your user in and out of the segregated Notebook-only layer or layers. This proves rather daunting, I'm not going to lie. We built out a scene switching mechanism to do this but it's clunky for the user because when they're using Notebook they have no reason to understand they have to go through another step to get to and from the separate scene because to the user/player, scenes are invisible, even though to you the designer, they are essential demarcations for the action.

As a sidenote, depending on how much data you expect your user/players to upload via Notebook, think very carefully about how much you rely on it. We just ran into a huge problem that would have been exacerbated by inviting users to use Notebook to post videos because it turns out that all that data (not sure precise threshold of instability--it seems to vary per device) will prevent your game from loading after a time (~100 MB +). As a result, we stripped a lot of media from our game to make it stable on older devices, and I am in the process of stripping out the components that promote use of Notebook and separate it from our primary game and curated content delivery scenes.

So take the following recommendation with that grain of salt and private message me if you want to discuss further.

What we did was use a conversation as a toggle to and from a Notebook segregated scene, giving an attribute to the player/user to trigger the scene. The hard part from a user flow standpoint is getting them to pick a different conversation on the way back to take that attribute from them and route them back to your main action scene. This gets ucky. We pinned these to the Tabbed Menu and locked them according to the various attributes in question, but the Tabbed Menu likes to crash ARIS if you get too creative with it and we ran into other user flow hurdles the more I solved the Notebook segregation problem.

If this makes sense, hopefully it is useful to you. I am not aware of a global setting that can toggle Notes on/off, although I agree that would be useful. Right now, we would basically toggle the user state on/off relative to a scene where user posts would aggregate and keep them separate from the main map.

Final note: because of the data and UI hurdles involved here, we are opting to invite our users to post content with a hashtag and allow others to worry about hosting the voluminous data associated with user media posts. This does not give you the geocoded aspect within ARIS, but it prevents the game from crashing if it becomes too popular. This assumes that you, like we do, care about video posts from your users. If you're only using text posts, then you probably don't need to worry about data overload.

MT
  • jacksoncoulter

by jacksoncoulter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for the tips I appreciate them. We're using some of the scene switching tips as a workaround for now.

I was asking more specifically for where settings are stored within the iOS app itself. We've forked the existing application and have been able to successfully hide the notes from the map while having them still visible in the notebook. Our next goal is to work on making this a setting that you can set via ARISjs with the ultimate goal of having these changes pushed to the actual app at some point.

We just wanted to make the setting in whatever standard way the settings are currently set if we want those changes to be accepted.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Ah. I get your request now. I don't know the answer to that. Let us know if you develop this javascript as it would be of interest. We're still going to use Notebook for low-media-intensive add-on quests (to document rain barrels with photo locations, for example) so this setting would be useful to us as well. Definitely interested in the conversation of how you're able to separate Notes from the Map.

MT
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks for the further explanation @jacksoncoulter. What you're talking about is very interesting.

tl;dr: I don't have the information you want, but your idea brings up a good question about how the notebook as a whole could move forward.

You have me thinking about what map/tab segregation controls with the notebook ideally would do. Certainly the basic ability to have one but not the other would be good, and I'm quite thankful that you're working on figuring this out in a way the rest of us can make use of it.

What if this were an aspect of the map tab? Meaning that in the settings for the map tab (for the author) or maybe a bit of UI overlay for the client app (for the player) there was a toggle or two. Maybe a toggle for each of the categories listed in the game, or a partial list the author decides on?

Even here, I wonder if we don't end up seeing things that would ideally be good changes to how the notebook works. What if instead of one notebook, notebooks were authorable objects? They could have triggers, and also have tabs if you want. In this way, an author could put a community notebook in a place.

Citing @waterguerrilla's trouble with too much game data, a certain feature for notebooks composed of much video, it both seems like there should be on-demand loading of this stuff, but also a see your notes/see everyone's notes/see a group's notes aspect to how the notebook(s) would be available. The latter would provide other design benefits too. Maybe a team can keep their notes from a rival.

BTW if you haven't yet, check out siftr.org, another platform developed by field day. It is essentially a stripped-down notebook (no audio or video). It is very easy to use (it takes 60 seconds to learn), and has had some design work done around what a bunch of notes on the map could look like to the end user and how they might interact with this data. We've discussed including a siftr inside an ARIS game using webpage objects as a way to present another notebook interface in ARIS. It's even true that when you create a siftr, an ARIS game with the same name is created. On the backend, they share the same identity. Probably some fun to be had there.