seeing who has played
  • essbee33

seeing who has played

by essbee33 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:20 am

A colleague of mine asked a question I don't know the answer to:

"I sent out the game invitation to 33 people. I’ve been watching to see if I could see that anyone had played yet and I’m not seeing anything. Is there a way to check this besides looking at the app on the main search screen?"
    chrish

Re: seeing who has played

by chrish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am

With some creativity with items or javascript, it would certainly be possible for an author to keep track of how much their game has been played. There are a few ways to do this, but there is nothing preconfigured and automatic. One should also be careful not to do anything creepy to one's players. Even though they are not asked to enter any identifying information, the game does have access to players' positions and user names.

Here's an example that you could follow through a bit of copy-paste. In Rupee Collector, I use a leaderboard. It is a plaque with a bit of javascript in it that tells me how many rupees the top ten players have collected along with their user names. Like a high score table from an old school arcade game. This uses barely altered sample javascript from the manual.

Instead of having players need to go and get items (like rupees), you could hand items (even hidden ones) out to a player upon starting your game, say with a plaque they see when they first start. Then base the "leaderboard" on the item you are giving out. This tops out at ten so it might not perfectly fit your needs.

With a bit more work, there are many other ways to generate game objects (say items belonging to the world) upon people starting a game, or with some more html and javascript to query the various apis in place. This would begin to look like the web backpack we used to have in ARIS 1 and about which we had another question this week from Dana.
  • essbee33

Re: seeing who has played

by essbee33 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks! I'll point my colleague to this response and she can ask further questions if she needs to.