[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Made Up Location - Field Day Forums
Made Up Location
  • mstevens

Made Up Location

by mstevens » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Is it possible to create a game around a made up location? I've designed a fake high school campus that I would like to base my game around. Ideally, I'd like to draw out the plan and navigate my players around this fake location in my game instead of an actual location on map.
    chrish

Re: Made Up Location

by chrish » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am

That sounds like a cool idea, and it is possible though ARIS won't do a lot to make this idea super convincing necessarily.

One limitation is that the map players look at and play on is the map provided by Apple/Google. We do not have a way to look at a custom map (though if we can find a way to get about $5K together...).

That said, there are a couple options I can think of:

1) Find an existing high school and put all of your game triggers there. But in the story of your game, it is not really *that* high school.

2) Don't use the map. You could have a game that only uses objects in the game world and don't really connect to the real world at all. This may not draw on all of ARIS' strengths, but it might not be terrible. Conversations and the rest still work fine. It also might be an indication that another game engine might suit your purposes more directly.

3) Use some HTML and javascript to create a fake map. It is possible to create webpages that have an image and visual hyperlinks layered on top. With some ARISJS, it should be possible to have these links point to ARIS objects instead of other webpages. If you can create such a thing and host it (see Mozilla popcorn if you don't have other resources), it is a simple matter of putting it in a "webpage" object in ARIS and having that object function as a map for your players, though it wouldn't zoom like the default one unless you also made that part of the page.

Hope this helps and I'm excited to see what you come up with.
  • mstevens

by mstevens » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Thank you for your reply! I will see what I can do. :)
  • Marc10

by Marc10 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 am